Sunday, May 29, 2011

Root Beer and Rainy Season Introductions

I continue to feel more and more confident in my decision to work with Casa Esperanza everyday.  I envisioned coming down here and having an impact on the youth and community in David, Panama, and I feel that this volunteer organization puts me in a great position to do those things.  The kids and I have a great bond by this point--either working together on their homework/studying for upcoming tests in various subjects or having fun with activities and joking around.  There was also a meeting in Boquete last week for all C.E. employees (from all over Panama) in which each branch gave a Powerpoint update regarding their progress and success in their own regions of Panama. They talked about how many children they have recruited from the streets in the past few months, how many meals they have provided, other work they have done in the community, etc.   It was really interesting to hear and see all of this behind-the-scenes action.
So, on Friday, the kids, Belbis (another teacher at C.E.) and I walked to a nearby soccer field and played a couple hours worth of kickball and soccer--needless to say I was living my glory days again and wreaking havoc out there.  Anyway, after the last game I decided to go get something to drink at the grocery store across the street--As I was searching for some water to quench my thirst, my eyes fell upon a bottle of IBC Root Beer.  Not believing my luck, I grabbed and paid for it before it somehow disappeared.  Once I stepped outside, opened the bottle and started walking back to the kids, I suddenly felt really awkward.  This bottle looked an awful lot like a beer bottle.  What do I do?  Try to chug it before heading back over there? No, that would look so much worse if Belbis or one of the kids caught a glance and thought I was downing a beer in between soccer games with 12 year old kids.  Other options? I could just take it over there and be discreet about it.  Hmm, sketchy glances? Lowered opinions? Bad influence?  No thanks.  After much debate I walked back to the field, bottle and all, sat back up on the bleachers and immediately started making conversation about my Root Beer.  "Man, this stuff is so good. Have you ever tried this?"   Belbis: "Is that beer?"  "No, no..look it's just root....beer" (ah crap I thought in my head)  She clearly doesnt know the english word "root" but definitely understands "beer"...Why couldn't I have just gotten that bottled water?....  The only thing that came to mind to prove it was soda was to offer taste tests.  She declined, but I was determined.  I made a desperate move and offered the last half of my root beer to the kids.  I then had a circle of kids passing this bottle around.  Definitely a disturbing sight for any passerby if there were any, I'm sure. None of them had ever heard of, seen or tasted root beer before--some liked it, while others spat it out...but, in the end and most importantly, no one disagreed that is was soda.
Well, speaking of being exposed to new things, I got my first real taste of Panama's rainy season this past week...one afternoon, it just started torrential down pouring and within 10-15 minutes the streets were completely flooded leaving all of the walkers stranded on the side of the road who, just 10 minutes ago, were enjoying a beautiful day out on the town. I wasn't about to give in to the rain that easily though.  Luis and I had plans to go shoot some pool that afternoon and darn it we were gonna play some pool.  So we sprinted/jumped across the intersections taking breaks in between to reflect on how unbelievably soaked we were and how we were the only ones doing this...stupid American/American-influenced Panamanian.  Yet, we made it. Sopping wet shoes/clothes, and all, and played an hour of pool with a little ceviche on the side to celebrate being indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment