Sunday, March 20, 2011

The search continues..

Still homeless.  Just wanted to come out and say it, save any suspense.  The process has been painfully slow and drawn out.  Despite the constant searching and inquiring, and the numerous contacts I've made, I clearly underestimated how difficult it would be to find a furnished place at a reasonable price here in David.  Basically everything for rent here, houses and apartments, is unfurnished unfortunately which makes things very difficult for me since I don't want to buy a house worth's of furniture for the 9 months I'll be down here.  There was an opportunity to live with one woman for about 200 in her house, but I saw some potential red flags when she sat me down and began the conversation with, "What religion are you?" in a way that made me terrified to answer incorrectly.  This was followed by "You don't drink alcohol or do drugs do you?" I strategically answered this question by saying "No, I don't do drugs." I didn't want to lie with 5 different versions of Jesus looking at me from the walls, so I was happy with my answer. Anyways, an interesting possibility has actually emerged recently in which a guy staying here at the hostel is finishing up a house in David and we've been talking.  Potential.  I'll keep you updated on that front, but until further notice, I'm at the hostel.
I wanted to get that frustration out of the way, because really everything else has been going very smoothly here and I've already met some great and intriguing people (Panamanians as well as people at the hostel from all different countries).  That's been one plus of being stuck here at the hostel--the variety of people coming in and out, hearing their stories, what's brought them here, and even finding some who will be staying in the area.  The downsides are obviously that I don't have a place of my own and I'm speaking way too much English.  Anyways, I've become good friends with one couple in particular from Canada, each around 30.  They will actually be staying in an area called Boquete about a 30 minute drive from where I am and have rented a home with a beautiful view (I choose my friends wisely). Here's a view from the back of their house:

UNACHI: After a stressful few days of figuring out my schedule at the University (they were planning at first for me to work mornings and afternoons every week day before I told them that I need time to volunteer as well), I am extremely excited with what the English Director and I came up with in the end.  We decided to pack the 20 hours into Monday-Wednesday, leaving all of Thursday and Friday for me to volunteer (or possibly travel on certain weekends..) My responsibilities at UNACHI will include tutoring, helping out in the classrooms (primarily with 1st year students), leading a drama and reading club, and doing occasional lectures on the English language or American culture, history, etc.  I'll definitely be busy.
Thankfully, the people at UNACHI have been incredibly welcoming and seemingly really excited for me to be here and help out.  My mentor teacher, Elia, is amazing and has taken me under her wing right from the first moment.  She calls me her "hijo" which she enjoys since all of her children have moved to Panama City. A much appreciated "rent-a-mom" for my time down here.
Well classes begin at the University tomorrow and I should be asleep by now, pues, buenas noches amigos!

1 comment:

  1. See your last post about taking your time to get out of the hostel. Maybe you jinxed yourself! I'm glad the university is so good, and hope the housing search brings you to the right place.

    ReplyDelete